Anouran (from Greek άν — no and ούρά — tail, i.e. an amphibian with no tail) is a race of frog-men of various sizes encountered through all the Fourth Act. Initially they're mostly green and reside on Rhodes, met on the Asomata coastline and later in the swamps surrounding the Tsakonian Ruins. A variation called Albino Anourans are met in Hades infesting the Stygian Marsh. Generally speaking, they're not very powerful (though they can be dangerous in numbers) and have the curious habit of randomly panicking and running away when attacked.
- Basic variant that has no special name.
- Mighty Bullfrog
- Elder Hunter
- Elder Tribesman
- Pale Anouran. Encountered in later stages of Act IV. They are the same anouran, but have different skin tone since they live in darkness of Hades' Realm.
- Witch Doctor
- Bullfrog. The biggest Anourans, they're much bigger than the other frog-people and stronger in melee, but they also move slower. They usually wield Swords.
- Mighty Bullfrog. A bit more powerful variant of Bullfrog, but with light brown-coloured skin.
- Hunter. Ranged units equipped with Bows.
- Elder Hunter. Same as Hunter, but tiny bit more powerful and usually wearing some armour.
- Pygmy. The smallest anourans, usually equipped with Bows or Spears. They're the fastest of their breed, but also the weakest. They can be annoying in numbers or along with other bigger ones.
- Tribesman. The most common types of Anouran, armed with melee weapons or occasionally bows.
- Elder Tribesman.
- Shaman. Slightly bigger than their brethren, they have yellow tattoos on their backs and attack by using magic. Sometimes they'll briefly pause, then cast two possible attacks: 1) Summon a swarm of bugs to harass the player. The swarm is hard to kill, but will vanish if the shaman is killed. 2) Regurgitate several green balls of mucus, dealing Poison Damage.
- Witch Doctor. Summons a Stinging Swarm that attacks the hero.
- Honored Witch Doctor.
- Chief Hunter Quicktongue ~ Anouran Hero
- Tribal Shaman Treesilver ~ Anouran Hero
- Chief Bullfrog Stonefoot ~ Anouran Hero
- Chief Bullfrog Longbellow ~ Anouran Hero
- Tribal Shaman Wood-Ear ~ Anouran Hero
- Chief Bullfrog Tlich Mossback ~ Pale Anouran Hero
- Chief Bullfrog Gleek the Nimble ~ Pale Anouran Hero
- Tribal Shaman Schlilsh Toadskin ~ Pale Anouran Hero
Special Items and Equipment
Anourans will occasionally drop certain pieces of armor, for both warrior classes and spell-casters. Sometimes they can drop rare weapons, including the Thorn Bow, the Schlilsh's Skinner (sword) and the Mbuti's Advocate (spear).